Contribute to Open Labor. All contributions will be reviewed before posting.
Our contribution policies are detailed below. Short form = show respect, usually no longer than 700–1000 words in an editable format, be a friend of the ALP.
We reserve the right to make some editorial changes for brevity or clarity. The author retains copyright, but we may use published material for our purposes. If you think your contribution has been mistreated, email the Open Labor Editorial Board requesting a review. By submitting material to Open Labor you agree we may store it on our server indefinitely. If you have published the material elsewhere first, please provide the url.
Focus on your ideas and do the best you can. We can work on any writing fails if you wish. Our central content categories are:
- ALP policies
- ALP process
- Friends, allies & associates
- Centre-left World-wide
- Driving political change (globalisation, digital economy, inequality, Planet Earth etc)
- Labor history
- New resources.
- Tell the truth as best you can, check your facts.
- This site is based on an ALP friend / interested observer point of view.
- Be bold, celebrate wins, analyse fails, use pics…
- Use plain English, avoid weasel words.
- Show respect, avoid slander and offensive isms
- Avoid shameless self-promotion.
- Do not use false avatars to promote your interests.
- Use other languages if you can, but we will need a translation.
- Don’t worry if you don’t write too good – we can edit or not as you wish.
- Follow copyright / intellectual property rights rules as best you can.
- Note your sources via embedded hyperlinks rather than footnotes etc
- Use photos with verbal consent (unless groups at public events), especially with photos of children.
- Supply email address and name, but we will only print your avatar identity with your story/comment if you wish. A head shot photo, a sentence or two of your bio, a Twitter username would be great.
- ALP electoral / internal candidate material will be published on request.
- Contact us to help write up a/your story
- Contact us if you think material is inappropriate; or your contribution has been poorly treated.
- Contributions and comments will be reviewed before uploading to ensure compliance with the editorial rules.
- Editors will try to edit based on the four cardinal virtues (wisdom, courage, moderation and justice) plus correct use of caps and apostrophes.
- Regular contributors will have their material automatically uploaded.
- Minor edits will be made without consultation (for brevity, clarity, grammar, typos, redundancy.).
- For major edits contributors will be contacted by the editors
- The editors will work with you to tell your story.
- Material provided from our branches and pollies are unedited.
- Please supply copyright details where possible.
File types & photo tips
The best text file type is a .txt or .rtf file (like email text). Formatting should be limited to Bold, underlined and italics. If you send a Word document (.doc, .docx), we will undo any formatting. PDF documents are good for long documents with complicated design features, photos etc. Send captions in the text file noting what, when, where, who (left to right people’s names & relevant titles/positions.) Send reasonably sized photos (eg at least 200-300KB), not thumbnails, .jpg or .png files are best, other file types OK. Don’t edit photos too much. Photos/images/graphs/charts are best sent separately from your text file in high resolution, NOT embedded within a Word document.
Thank you for contributing to Open Labor.