Review of Barry Jones’ new book What is to be Done.
Turnbull cites Jones’ policy list which includes:
- Renovating the Constitution.
- Having an Australian head of state.
- Adopting a Bill of Rights.
- Creating an Independent Commission against Corruption.
- Practising open government and rejecting all the prevailing secrecy.
- Appropriate funding for the ABC, CSIRO, Bureau of Meteorology and ABS.
- Investing in soft diplomacy in our region.
- Recognising the value of the humanities and the arts and providing adequate funding for them.
- Giving high priority to science.
- Re-establishing the moral basis of progressive taxation and recognising the increase in social inequality and the role of taxation and school funding as contributing factors.
- Being open-minded and sceptical about involvement in foreign policy and wars and supercharged spending on submarines and defence big boy toys.
- Taking creative approaches to multiculturalism and rejecting the notion of education, health and the arts as ‘industries’.
- Adopting compassionate, rational and statistically based policies on refugees and asylum seekers arriving by sea.